Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sub-Awards & Compliance Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time, Regular
Supervisory Responsibility: NA
Reports Directly To: Sub-Awards & Compliance Manager based in Abuja.
Works Directly With: Program and operational teams, finance and sub-award teams in Abuja.
Travel Required: No
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Subaward Unit is responsible for managing the programmatic, financial and operational aspects of sub-awards issued under all programs across Mercy Corps Nigeria. Working with an increasingly wide and diverse set of local and international partners at all levels of public, private and civil society, there is a need to strengthen programmatic and financial support to partners to enable more robust growth and development of sub-grantees.
- Compliance with the donor regulations and Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures is a critical part of the capacity building process and essential to enable sub-grantees to develop strong systems that will help in the delivery of programmatic interventions.
General Position Summary
- Working directly under the direction of the Subaward and Compliance Manager, the Sub-awards & Compliance officer will support in adherence to the compliance procedures related to program, finance, and documentation with attention to PARTNER Project.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with Mercy Corps and donors regulations related to sub granting, including issuance, management and monitoring of sub-awards as well as supporting team members on processes and guidelines.
- Work closely with consortium-level sub-recipient organizations to ensure they are issuing, managing, and monitoring sub-awards in accordance with the sub-award policy.
- Provide Program & financial review for all local partner reports and follow up with any missing documents.
- Set up physical grant files and ensure all grant documents are properly filed, both financial and program reports
- Develop sub-recipient monitoring plans, conduct financial and programmatic monitoring of sub-recipients. Visit sub-recipients and produce regular financial and programmatic monitoring visit reports.
- Support in Preparation of sub-award JE and enter same on navigator for subgrantee liquidations
- Update Reporting tracker and follow up with Partner for submission of timely report
- Support in preparing for sub-grants kickoff meetings and sub-grants closeout meetings with close coordination with Sub-Awards Manager.
- Responsible for sub-award financial close-outs, including ensuring that all requirements of the sub-award agreement have been met and that sub-award funds have been properly settled
- Ensure sub-grant files are complete and up to date as per MC sub-grant file checklist and MC Programme Management minimum standards.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Assist the program team with assessing sub-recipient organizational needs, so that the sub-award process strengthens the ability of local NGOs/CSOs to meet world-class standards.
- Draft modifications to sub-awards, as needed.
Partnership & Capacity Building:
- Provide strategic program guidance and technical support for sub-grant award capacity building through provision of support to partner organizations as required and in coordination with the relevant program team.
- Conduct the capacity assessment of identified organizations using Mercy Corps’ Organizational Capacity Index (OCI) tool and using OCI findings, support partner organizations to create capacity development plans.
- Refine organizational development tools and recommend the best approaches for partner capacity development based on existing Mercy Corps knowledge and experience.
- Provide compliance guidance and consultations to sub-recipients on a demand-driven basis.
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members and sub-awardees with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least three (3) years of Subaward, compliance and finance experience is required.
- A University Degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent is required.
- One-year experience in the finance or Subaward & compliance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Filing and organizational skills required.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to locations within the implementation location and outside the state capitals according to the needs of the Mercy Corps program. This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly always following security protocols and sometimes working long and irregular hours.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues